Sunday, August 31, 2008

Craziness...

Well, here we go again! I say that but unlike my sister and brother-in-law, I didn't have to go anywhere! THe hurricane is heading our way, and we are on the eastern side of it which is BAD!! We are off at least thru Wednesday, maybe longer if we don't have power. It is funny because I have lived here my whole life, and the threat of hurricanes is constant! Andrew hit when I was a senior and other than Katrina and Rita, there were no other storms in my lifetime that were this bad. They always looked like they were coming this way but shifted and went to Florida or Texas. Katrina was the first one to do any real damage since Andrew and it was BAD! I have grown up going to New Orleans several times a year, if not once a month. My husband and his siblings basically grew up there. To go to this city, 6 months later and see homes that were once in well off neighborhoods, literally moved into the middle of the street by the flooding and still there, in the middle of the street! House had spray paint on them where emergency workers had gone in, checked for bodies and spray painted zero if no bodies were found. so many traffic lights were still not in operation, just really surreal. And the rest of the country seems to forget about Rita just 6 weeks later. It decimated the southwestern part of the state, really. Even the local news turned a blind eye to it. I did not realize the extent of the damage until I passed through it a year later and it was just coming back. Now another bad one! In my first 31 years, 1 major hurricane in the 3 years since 3 major ones!! What is going on!!

Anyway we are patiently waiting to see what to expect, hopefully more good news than bad. It is weird because we have been experiencing the media onslaught for so many days that it feels like nothing is happening, that we are getting worked up for nothing! Will give updates in the morning!

No comments: